Deadline to Apply: November 2, 2018
Course: GLS-120 Education Experience Abroad
(Humanities and/or Diversity/Elective)
Are you ready to make a global impact this Winter Break? This program is for students from all walks of life, all majors and all career paths after Kirkwood. Guatemala has everything you are looking for in a study abroad experience. You’ll work hard, build friendships, earn academic credit and experience culture in a meaningful way. It will change the way you see the world and other cultures. It may even change the way you live your life. Taught by qualified faculty who have over 10 years’ experience in leading trips to Guatemala, this program is an exciting, safe and valuable opportunity. Plus, with the chance to earn a $1,000 Global Advantage Scholarship, now is the time to study abroad! We partner with a non-profit, Guatemalan-owned organization called ImagininGuatemala, headquartered in beautiful and historic Antigua. The organization is dedicated to bettering the lives of the less-fortunate in Guatemala. Brought together by a common desire to improve the lives of their neighbors, the staff have decades of experience in non-profit organizations. They also know the needs of the area’s people, being native Guatemalans themselves. You will be part of a service team which will help provide:
• Housing that is safe, weather-resistant and sustainable.
• Food and water to communities and areas where access to nutritious food and clean water are scarce.
• Educational assistance to children and their families
including tuition, uniforms, and other supplies necessary via sponsors.
• Friendship to children in orphanages and building communities.
• Assist with medical and dental needs for children in need
A place of rare beauty, major historical significance and vibrant culture Antigua remains Guatemala’s must-visit destination. A former capital city and a current UNESCO World Heritage site, the city boasts an impressive array of colonial relics in a magnificent setting. Streetscapes of pastel facades unfold beneath three volcanoes. Today it remains a vibrant Guatemalan town; its churches, plazas and markets are throbbing with activity. Outside the city, indigenous communities, coffee plantations and volcanoes offer ample opportunities for exploration.
- Kirkwood Credit: 3-credit Humanities Course (AAS) orDiversity/Elective Course (AA/AS)Community Service: building homes and other community
- outreach activities
- Real-world experience: tackle real global challenges hands-on
- Team-building: create enduring connections with Guatemalan and Kirkwood friends
- Resume Builder: showcase your global competencies to future employers
Estimated Program Fee: $3,250
$1,000 Global Advantage Scholarship available!
- Two home cooked meals per day
- Health Insurance
- Cultural excursions with experienced faculty
- Most In-Country Transit
Does not include:
- Tuition: 3 credits Spring 2019
- Passport Fee
- Personal Expenses
Lisa Hebl, Professor, Dental Hygiene
2164J Linn Hall
Ken Nesbett, Study Abroad Advisor
1154 Linn Hall