Skip to content

US State Department, Consulates and Embassies

International Programs monitors U.S. Department of State advisories and warnings related to international travel recommendations. If a Department of State travel warning has been issued, Kirkwood will not travel to that country.

Kirkwood registers all Study Abroad students in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) through the US State Department prior to departure.  This registration alerts the embassy in the host country the dates that you will be travelling there and puts you on a list to receive updates about any travel situations in–country.

While you are in-country, US Consulates and Embassies can help you if you lose your passport. A consul can issue you a replacement, often within 24 hours.  If you believe your passport has been stolen, first report the theft to the Faculty/Staff Director and local police to get a police declaration. This process is smoother if you have a photocopy of your passport.