Skip to content


A valid passport is required to go on all study abroad programs. As a Kirkwood study abroad participant, you are required to obtain and pay for your passport on your own.  We advise you start this process as soon as possible.  You can apply for a new passport, renew an expired passport and learn about current fees by visiting the U.S. Department of State website. 

You will need a passport at least 60 days before your study abroad program departs. Passports are valid for 10 years from the date of issue.  Routine applications take approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application to be completed.   Expedited service, which requires an additional fee, is about 2-3 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency).

The State Department website lists the locations closest to Kirkwood Community College where you can apply for your passport.