This program is no longer accepting applications. If you would like to be put on the waitlist, please contact the study abroad advisor: email@example.com
The Course: HUM-200 International Studies in the Humanities (3 credits)
Exploring the Origins of Photography is an in depth study of the first 100 years of photography that includes an excursion to France and England where the majority of the inventors lived and worked. The course also includes instruction on how to be a better photographer with links to apps for making your smart phone a better camera.
Printable Program Sheet/Itinerary: France and England 2018 and Photo Slideshow/ Photo Gallery
The Destination: France and England
Participants will fly to Marseille, France and begin their tour in the scenic southwester Provence region of the country. The group will gradually move north toward visiting historic sites in the history of photography and in the nation. We will spend two nights and three days in Paris, before we take the train under the English channel to London. After spending two nights in London we will travel to the scenic Cotswald region of England and visit the historic town of Lacock. The Abbey is both the historical setting for the invention of photography and the location for the filming of the Harry Potter movies.
The Experience Highlights:
• First-hand exploration through visits to the sites where photography was born
• Instructions on making better photographs, even with your smart phone
• Travel to France and England where photography was invented
• Explore Provence, France and see the ancient Roman coliseums and monuments where the first photographs were made.
• See the tiny town of Chalon sur Saone where the museum of French photographic invention is located.
• Visit Medieval Gothic architectural sites where early photographers worked
• Tour Paris and see the famous monuments of the modern era: the Eiffel Tower, the Museé d’ Orsay and the Louvre.
• Many different walking/boat tours and music venues to choose from along the way
• Ride the railway under the English Channel and visit London
• Tour the famous monuments and museums of London: Tower Bridge, Victoria and Albert Museum, St. Paul’s Cathedral and the Tate Modern Museum
• Take and excursion to Lacock Abbey where not only the Harry Potter films were made but where photography was invented.
• Recreate the first photographic process in the 19th century laboratory where the medium was invented.
Program Fee: $4,350
($1,000 Global Advantage Scholarship for Qualified Students)
- Round trip airfare
- Many cultural excursions
- Some meals
- Passport fee
- Tuition for 3 credit Summer 2018 course
- Personal spending money
Susan Skoglund, Faculty, French firstname.lastname@example.org